Luke 1:26-38
"Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin's name was Mary. And having come in, the angel said to her, "Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!"
But when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."
Then Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I do not know a man?"
And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren. For with God nothing will be impossible."
Then Mary said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.
This is what I read in my devotions this morning...I can't tell you how many times I've probably sped through these verses with out much thought to the meaning behind so many of them. Sure! I know that Mary was pregnant even though she was a virgin and she probably got a lot of dirty looks and comments because of it...but have I really taken the time to think about the seriousness of her circumstances?
In a world where women did not work and had very little value, she was chosen...let me say that again in case it didn't really sink in...she was CHOSEN! Although she was troubled or confused as to how this word from the angel was actually going to take place, she never once doubted the truth in Gabriel's words. She trusted God even going up against something to culturally unacceptable as this! Something she did not understand. What astounds me the most is not that God chose her, or that she was "blessed among women", but that she ACCEPTED God's plan for her life with humility and submission. "Let it be to me according to your word." I cannot imagine the strength and courage it took.
I was challenged by this passage this morning. Life isn't exactly where I'd like it to be and sometimes I get so distracted by my unbelief and lack of faith that I forget that WITH GOD NOTHING WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE! I can take this lesson from Mary, a woman chosen and highly favored by God, that even in the midst of circumstances that I don't understand...I can submit my life with no doubt that God has a plan and purpose for me.
Lord, increase my faith. Help me to accept your plan for me and submit myself to you even in my lack of understanding. For with God nothing will be impossible.
No comments:
Post a Comment